Right here at HealthSherpa, we strongly imagine in creating inclusive and equitable areas, which construct belief, respect and a way of belonging which are essential to our tradition and work. We’re dedicated to constructing a group that represents the individuals who use our merchandise, as we all know that it will advance our mission of creating healthcare inexpensive to those that want it.
We’re excited to function our colleagues and listen to extra about their experiences at HealthSherpa, from their first touchpoints all the way in which as much as their tenure and progress on the group. For this subsequent put up, we spoke with Patricia Pichardo, Vice President of Product Administration, who opens up about why she stated sure to HealthSherpa, her private journey to mission-driven work, and what her day-to-day seems like.
I’ve been at HealthSherpa for nearly 2 months now. There was an acquisition at my final firm, and it led to loads of change; it opened my eyes to exterior alternatives. I began getting pinged quite a bit by recruiters and there have been attention-grabbing jobs opening up. I’d labored in liquor straight earlier than HealthSherpa; however earlier than that, I’d labored in a mission-driven setting, and I actually missed that mission connectivity.
So after I began exploring new alternatives, what actually made HealthSherpa stand out was the mission, and the chance to do what I do professionally to usher some good into the world.
Personally, when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in 2017, I discovered myself advocating for Puerto Ricans within the diaspora – it actually awakened one thing within me. With buddies and different volunteers, we have been in a position to take action a lot – we helped folks get out of the Island, helped feed kids who have been going with out meals, helped folks get entry to primary wants.
After this expertise, I began fascinated about different points that weren’t essentially straight impacting one thing that I used to be near. So when Sarah (Ahn, Senior Recruiter) reached out to me about this position at HealthSherpa, it felt like a complete match for me. How would I get higher if I acquired sick, and I didn’t have satisfactory insurance coverage? That may be a actual subject, an actual downside. And HealthSherpa is fixing it – and it’s a worthwhile firm, with a dedication to range, fairness and inclusion. It was a complete no-brainer to say sure to speak about this position.
There have been a number of issues that stood out to me:
- The human contact. I’d labored with good recruiters earlier than, however at HealthSherpa, it wasn’t simply the recruiter. Sarah launched me to the subsequent particular person, who introduced the identical nice contact and humanity to the method. It was clear that the recruiter and the hiring supervisor shared the identical values, and that there was clear intention informing the method.
- The candor. Sarah and the entire folks on the interview group have been very candid with me about what the true issues have been, the true wants have been, and what the precise actuality at HealthSherpa appeared like.
- The belief. The group trusted one another in a really implicit manner. Later within the course of, I acquired to satisfy a few of my teammates, friends and direct studies. The conversations felt natural and real with the group as nicely. It didn’t really feel just like the group was being refrained from the method; they requested questions (and vice versa), and it confirmed me that the recruiter and hiring supervisor positioned loads of belief within the group, too – and from the conversations, it felt clear that the belief existed in each instructions.
So, not solely are they human, and candid, however they belief one another. They really feel actually snug about one another’s positions. Once I spoke to George (Chief Government Officer), he stated that he didn’t must assess whether or not I’d be a superb product chief – that was Cat’s (Chief Product Officer) job. He simply needed to determine whether or not I’d be a superb match for the corporate typically, and to supply the chance to ask questions of one other co-founder who wasn’t managing this position.
I get up within the morning and work out not less than 3x/week earlier than beginning the day. After this, I sit down and have some quiet time. I spend time planning my day, establishing my conferences, and guaranteeing that I’m arrange for achievement for the remainder of the day. I normally have conferences after that – roughly 2-4hrs of conferences per day, and 2-4 hrs of quiet time, whether or not pre-planned or ad-hoc.
It’s an incredible combination of collaboration, listening in, and asking the appropriate questions and ensuring that we’re ready to make the appropriate choices. Often my day ends with a gathering – a 1:1 with my supervisor or a direct report, or a company-wide assembly. I’d thought that this may really feel odd as a result of I used to spend time on the finish of the day by myself, however I’ve discovered this actually energizing. There’s additionally a lot to study – I go away the day virtually on daily basis feeling energized and like I’m studying. I go away the times very glad.
I’ve realized that there are issues that we take with no consideration, that aren’t as easy as they appear. Everybody is aware of about healthcare; no one goes by life without having it, with out taking part on this system ultimately. There may be a lot to study as a client – and it’s unusual to consider this, as a result of it’s one thing primary, regular, wanted, and important. You will get sick sooner or later, and also you will inevitably want healthcare.
So, studying the complexities of the area is admittedly necessary. There are issues that you just would possibly suppose are easy and you discover out that they’re really very sophisticated. I’ve been approaching loads of this with humility, and counting on the folks that I’ve been working with to assist me get on board. I 100% must depend on my teammates to arrange me and maintain me up after I make errors.
I’d say two issues:
- In case you’re fascinated about working right here, don’t suppose twice. It is best to positively discover alternatives with us, and apply if you see one thing that could possibly be a superb match for you.
- For somebody who isn’t so positive about HealthSherpa, for no matter cause – think about the place you’re and the influence you make the place you’re, after which think about the potential influence you may make engaged on one thing that may assist resolve such an enormous downside. There’s nothing that feels higher than doing a job you take pleasure in, and figuring out the way it will profit folks in an enormous manner.
Wish to work with Patricia and the remainder of our phenomenal group? Click on right here to discover present openings and listen to from extra teammates at HealthSherpa!