With the epidemic nonetheless with us, hiring international home helpers is turning into increasingly more difficult, and on high of that, it’s needed to think about points corresponding to meal and lodging bills when hiring international helpers. Consequently, extra households are turning to housekeeping assistants (also referred to as hourly helpers) for normal assist with family chores. However do you know that as an employer, you want to get insurance coverage protection in your housekeeping assistant as nicely?
On this Kwiksure article, we’ll check out the scope of labor of housekeeping assistants, their hourly charges, and insurance coverage protection.
Housekeeping Assistants: Their Scope of Work and Hourly Charges
Housekeeping assistants are usually liable for vacuuming and mopping the ground, tidying up the place, washing and ironing garments, cleansing loos (i.e. the bathroom, sink, bathtub, bathe space) and the kitchen (i.e. the exhaust fan, range, sink, fridge, ceramic tiles), and different family chores. Cooking, nonetheless, is normally not a part of the bundle, so you’ll be able to anticipate to should pay additional for cooking on high of cleansing.
The going fee is about HK$100 to HK$250 per hour, relying on the assistant’s expertise, employer’s price range, and measurement of the house, and there’s normally a minimal cost equal to three hours’ wage. Sometimes, a 400 – 800 ft unit will take 4 – 5 hours, whereas items over 800 ft will take greater than 5 hours to scrub.
On high of that, the service time slot (corresponding to earlier than 9:00 a.m., or throughout peak seasons corresponding to simply earlier than the Chinese language New 12 months) and site (whether it is distant corresponding to in an outlying island) will even have a bearing on the charge ranges.
Do you want to get housekeeping assistants insured too?
As a matter of truth, whether or not you’re hiring housekeeping assistants, postnatal caregivers or caregivers specializing in caring for new child infants or the aged, and although their jobs are part-time in nature and they’re paid by the hour, you’re required to take out an insurance coverage coverage below Part 40 of the Staff’ Compensation Ordinance, to cowl the employer’s legal responsibility within the occasion of unintended dying or damage of the assistant whereas on the job. Failure to take action might end in a positive of HK$100,000 and imprisonment for two years.
That’s true even if you happen to rent your hourly helper via one of many standard platforms corresponding to HelperGo, Lazy App, or Toby: you continue to must buy labour insurance coverage or home helper insurance coverage your self, as a result of these platforms is not going to allow you to safe insurance coverage.
4 Main Errors to Keep away from When Shopping for Home Helper Insurance coverage
- Earlier than you apply, bear in mind to test what varieties of home tasks are coated by the insurance coverage, as a result of no compensation will likely be obtainable for varieties of work exterior of the descriptions. Make sure, additionally, to test the age restrict for the helper (usually 60 or 65 years of age).
- Essentially the most fundamental home helper insurance coverage, also referred to as “worker compensation insurance coverage” or “labour insurance coverage”, normally prices a premium of round HK$300. These plans can already compensate the worker with as much as HK$100 million per accident. Some plans will cowl the lack of life or harm to property suffered by third events, attributable to accident or negligence on the a part of the helper.
- Keep in mind that every labour insurance coverage coverage will solely cowl one tackle. In different phrases, if in case you have a number of houses that should be cleaned by a housekeeping assistant, you’ll need to purchase an insurance coverage coverage for every of your houses, in any other case the assistant is not going to be coated whereas working on the web site.
- Insurance coverage firms pay particular consideration as to if a housekeeping assistant has obtained formal coaching.
- Totally different insurance policy are wanted for various kinds of work, so bear in mind to fastidiously test the precise varieties of work coated earlier than buying. To offer you an instance, postnatal caregivers or caregivers who deal with the aged already require safety plans completely different from these required by the final housekeeping assistant.