Deciding on a summer season break to the Antalya coast in Turkey, raised one massive query for 2 households travelling collectively – Kas or Kalkan? Let their expertise information you to decide on the most effective vacation spot out of the 2 for you!
Set within the the province of Antalya, gorgeous surroundings is assured. This space is also referred to as the turquoise coast (and the seas right here actually are a shocking shade of blue), in addition to the Turkish Riviera.
Kalcan itself is surrounded by the arid Taurus mountains, and is one massive very steep hill from prime to backside! However don’t let this put you off in case you really feel mountain climbing up and down hills isn’t your jam, as a result of right here nobody does that anyway. It’s so steep that everybody hops in a taxi to get from prime to backside, or drives their very own automobile or in case you are courageous sufficient a moped!
The steep incline implies that the views are simply unbelievable. Whether or not wanting away from the coast in any respect the attractive homes and villas that appear to trickle down in the direction of the ocean, or from increased up throughout the sheltered bay and the twinkling Mediterranean Sea.
The place to go and what to see in Kalkan
- Terrace eating places and bars – these have been a agency favorite with our group, not solely due to the gorgeous views throughout the city and your complete bay, but additionally as a result of nothing feels higher than a heat night breeze whereas eating alfresco!
- Seaside golf equipment – a family-friendly option to spend the day within the shade of a cabana proper subsequent to the ocean. Most have quick access to the ocean both by being on the seashore, or by having platforms that result in the ocean in addition to having a pool.
- The weekly native market – a bustling area promoting spices, recent fruit and veg, and all the real fakes you would dream of! You can even bag your self some freshly made turkish treats to maintain your vitality up as you go spherical. Solely on a Thursday.
- Arts & crafts boutiques – there may be a lot native expertise hidden among the many many winding streets in Kalkan. Search for handmade and artisan items – pottery, glass, and macrame.
- Petara historic website – only a quick drive from the city is Petara, the traditional capital of Lycia – an excellent place to be because the solar units, with a wealth of tumbled down ruins and semi restored areas and amphitheatres full with very pleasant goats!
Is Kalkan good for a household vacation?
A powerful sure from us all! We have been lucky sufficient to have a villa with a pool – so loads of area to sit back and maintain cool till the temperatures dipped sufficient to enterprise out. The ocean was protected and delicate for the little ones, and the Seaside Membership we spent a day at had a wealth of water toys (sea tractor and trampoline!) to maintain the children occupied for hours.
All of the eating places and bars have been tremendous kid-friendly too – and whereas we didn’t keep out late it definitely appeared protected sufficient whereas we have been there. For older youngsters and adventurous adults there have been a spread of outside adventures to select from resembling mountain biking, parasailing, jet snowboarding, and boat rent.
Kas – a greater vacation spot than Kalkan?
It looks as if everybody talks about Kas greater than Kalkan – and on a day journey there we may sort of see why. For a begin the ambiance is extra mild, much less touristy, and has areas with extra of an genuine native really feel. The inclines are additionally much less intimidating and it isn’t an excessive amount of bother to wander from the automobile park by the harbour proper as much as the best avenue within the city.
As soon as once more, the setting is completely stunning because it sits alongside the identical a part of the turquoise coast, and it has a wealth of fantastic boutiques to discover and a greater than its fair proportion of terrace eating places to get pleasure from spectacular views throughout the harbour! All in all it appeared extra grown up, much less glitzy and fewer like a spot solely vacationers frequent!
Is Kas a very good vacation spot for a household vacation?
I assume all of it is dependent upon the vibe you might be in search of! It’s a extra mild, extra Turkish model of Kalkan and I might say extra relaxed too. Would the children suppose it’s higher? Likelihood is the brilliant lights and extra accessible seashore golf equipment of Kalkan would get their vote!
- Flights: Jet2 to Dalaman
- Villa: Villa Palmi kalkanvilla.org
- Transfers: Taxi – 1h 50m from Dalaman to Kalkan
- Journey date: August 2023
- Climate: HOT HOT HOT (upwards of 35 °C) humid and sunny!
Worldwide journey insurance coverage to Turkey
Get your worldwide journey insurance coverage earlier than you head off in your subsequent journey – annual cowl at nice charges for households that love journey. Get a web based quote or name us on 0189283338
Journey Author Bio:
Kerry McCarthy is a Author, Editor, Artist & Breathwork Teacher who likes to journey with household, mates and likewise solo. You could find out extra about her adventures over on instagram at @kerrymccarthystars